Forum home Plants

Zinnias

Hello, I planted zinnia seeds last year in a container and they did pretty well. This year I used the same container and soil to plant more seeds. Was that bad? I already have seedlings popping up. Also, last year something was eating the heck out of all my plants including the zinnias. Saw lots of small snails around them. How do I nip that before they get started?
Thank you

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    If you have re used last year's compost it will have no nutrients in it, so you'll need to start feeding them early on with a low strength feed (1/4 strength then 1/2 strength then the normal strength) about 7-10 days of each. The texture of the compost won't be very good either.
    Multi purpose compost only lasts 1 season really before it degrades.

Slugs and snails do like zinnias - slug pellets are now much safer than they were. The only type available now is the ferric phosphate type which safely breaks down to plant food and won't harm other wildlife.
    Welcome to the forum :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Hate those slugs and snails so I will give them. Great information about the compost. I will work on that now. The ones coming up are still tiny. Should I wait to they are a little bigger or do it now??
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    You're welcome :)
    If you get some fresh compost, you can transplant your seedlings once the true leaves have formed properly.
    When your seedling first appears, like all seedlings it will have 2 flat leaves - these are the seed leaves. A little while later you will see another pair of leaves - these are the true leaves. Once these have appeared, it means that your seedling has proper roots - then you can carefully transplant them into fresh compost.

If you leave them in the old compost - you can start to feed them with 1/4 strength fertilizer once the true leaves have appeared

Good luck and hope you keep the slugs and snails under control
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you. You have been very helpful and I'm going to so everything you have suggested.