Forum home Plants

Are these Spanish bluebells?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
Hi guys,

Noticed that on gardeners world they were talking the Spanish bluebells being invasive. And I am pretty sure mine are Spanish!

Could anyone confirm this for me please? They are growing everywhere in the neighbours garden!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    Yes, they are Spanish ones. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,984
    Or hybrids.
    English ones have all the nodding flowers on one side of the stem. They always have white pollen and are scented. Not always easy to tell the hybrids from the real thing though.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,961
    Those are Spanish. Apparently English bluebells are more vigorous than Spanish bluebells so fears they would be wiped out through hybridising are exaggerated. I would still prefer to plant the English type though, although I'd avoid either in a typical garden to be honest as they're both thugs.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,014
    Probably hybrids, they appear to have white pollen, but with flowers both sides of the stem. It ain’t as easy as some people think.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    Are they as bad as people are making out lately in terms of being invasive?

I don't want them taking over my garden.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,006
    yes. Definitely. No bout adout it!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,007
    I agree with B3 and I wouldn't want them in my garden but it's your garden and your choice. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    I have some in my garden and they haven't taken over.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,571
    Ditto @Busy-Lizzie 's post. 

I inherited a mass of Spanish bluebells and knew they would be nigh on impossible to eradicate completely. I concentrated my efforts on removing them from areas where I definitely didn't want them and also thinned them out elsewhere. Ten years on they're still confined to 3 small areas - but I am vigilant for strays and wanderers.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    Well I am going to try and get rid of them as they are starting to form quite large clumps.

Has anyone had any success killing them with weed killer? There is one section of my garden where there is a huge clump of them with no other plants around them. So weed killer if it works would be best for that area.