Forum home Plants

Are these ready to plant into the ground?

IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
Gaura and Gaillardia in the ground now or stay in their pots for another few weeks? Months? 

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 455
    I'd say no, look far too small still.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    They're tiny. Leave them in the pots until you can see the roots beginning to poke out of the bottom of the pots 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I thought so. But then was thinking they might get stronger with the soil in the ground. Probably not likely to flower this year?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,532
    edited May 2022
    I agree, too small. If you tried to plant them out all the soil would fall off the delicate roots and the disturbance would probably see them off. I have had gaura flower from cuttings in their first year but they were three times the size of your plants with a root system filling the pot.

edited to say, from root cuttings that had layered themselves, planted out the end of summer, plus things can grow faster here! Some of mine have self-seeded this year so I’m waiting until they get a bit bigger before potting up and growing on.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Far too small to cope with open ground.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    It might even be worth hanging on and planting in the Autumn. I have just potted up Gaura that l sowed in March, so obviously smaller than yours.
    They might flower this year, but better to concentrate on building strong plants with a good root system in the pots. It'll be worth the wait :) 
    Thanks all. My borders are a bit full at the moment and no time to clear them so it would be risky at the best of times. I’ll grow them on as these were from seed gifted so not sure when they were sowed. I’ll just have to nurture and hide more plants from him indoors.