Forum home Plants

Planting my first Peonie

ren.bren.b Posts: 161
Hi
I've been looking on Youtube for a video showing the best way to plant a Peony that is already in a pot but all I can find are planting when they are at the bulb/tuber stage (whatever they're called).  I got mine from Lidl and the card doesn't say much apart from 'Paeonia Lactiflora'
Looked online and it does look similar to either the 'Jacorma' or 'sarah Bernhardt' but I suppose it doesn't matter what the exact type is for planting purposes.
I've got a peony support, know it needs a sunny spot in well drained soil but that's about it. 
Do I need to add anything to the soil - does it prefer a particular soil?  How deep do I plant it?
This is the size of mine:

If it was a Peony tree - how would I know by looking at it?
As always, many thanks to those who reply (dunno what I would do without this group and the kind people who always reply) :)
<3

• edited May 2022
    Peonies are not too fussy about soil, but if you have clay soil then added organic matter would help. Tree peonies have a trunk, while herbaceous (like yours) die down completely in winter.
    Plant it as close to the surface as possible, with the rootstock within an inch of the surface, otherwise it will not flower - I would see how deeply yours is in the pot, as I would expect it to have flower buds by now.
  • ren.bren.b Posts: 161
    Oh no - I was wondering that myself - about the lack of flowers as kept seeing online that they flower from May, June to July. Haven't noticed any buds - :(
    By added 'organic matter' - does that include leaf mould?  I have tons of that and some good quality compost.  My border does have some clay.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,021
     I agree with @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool , it's a young plant so won't flower this year. 
    Normally l would say plant it at the same depth as it was in the pot, but it may (and l stress "may") be planted too deeply in that
    If you can, very carefully scrap the compost away from the centre and see if you can see the crown of the plant. That only needs to be 3 to 5 cms below the surface.
    It is a healthy looking plant, even though it won't flower this year and you may only get 2 or 3 blooms next year while it establishes, it's worth the wait in my opinion  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    They do need decent quality soil, and decent drainage, and as sunny a site as you can manage.
    As said, burying them too deep can delay flowering, and often prevent it, but if yours is a fairly immature plant, it might be next year before it flowers well. It does look fairly young. Some flower later than others, and your location will also be a factor. Buds are only just appearing on mine for example, and that's a very mature plant now.

Leaf mould is good - organic matter is just as it sounds. Compost, rotted manure, leaf mould etc. It all benefits the soil structure.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

thank you - again ..... :D - feels odd buying a plant that might not flower this year but hope it's worth it as you say Anni.  Fairygirl - have you got a pic of yours?  Would love to see it. x
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    They live for years. We have a clump that was clearly mature when we arrived 30 years ago. It's going strong. Plants that live so long may take 2 - 3 years to get established before they flower. It's well worth the wait.
    Oh that's good to hear Posy - thank you. xx
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Sorry @ren.b, I've just seen your post.
    I'm not sure I've got any good pix of it. The white flowers are quite hard to photograph well, but I'll have a look .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl - Don't worry if you haven't, was just curious ..... my peonie support should arrive tomorrow :)