Forum home Plants

Clematis rhederiana

What are peoples experience with Clematis rhederiana north facing? I’ve been reliably informed it should be fine and it is growing but seems to be slow compared to what I was told to expect. It’s only in its second year and is certainly much better this year. I’m principally growing it for a nectar rich greening of a new fence.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    All clematis take a few years to become mature, and have full coverage - often around four or five years,  so none of them would be particularly big after a couple of years. Even a decent sized one [a couple of years old]  will take a year or so just to establish after planting    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks. It’s a species for which I have struggled to find much formation at all. I think the next step is to learn how to propagate from a cutting as it’s an expensive plant to buy if you can even find it.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019
    I seem to remember being told that it needed full sun, but i am not sure by whom.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    According to Taylor's , it does need full sun.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    I agree with what @punkdoc and @Fairygirl say about the sun being needed. Mine grows profusely on my east facing garage wall. Its a beauty and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not sure whether it would like a north facing situation.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Presumably moving it is a winter job?
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    Moving a clematis should be done in the spring really - before the plant starts to produce its new growth. Once dug up, it should be buried quite deeply in the soil and any top growth left over from the previous season can be cut back.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable