Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 790
Hi all

Could I trouble you all for 3 IDs:

Is 3. a foxglove? I have grown since from seed which I planted last year but they haven't flowered so I want sure if they could have self seeded.

Haven't a clue about 1 & 2. There's a few of 1 dotted around and masses of 2!

Thanks

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,042
    I looks like nigella.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    3 looks like a lot of willow herb surrounding a foxglove. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 790
    Thanks @B3 and @Dovefromabove

Nigella is definitely a possibility, there's plenty of it not far from this location.

For the willow herb, which from a Google looks correct, digging out and a thick mulch should help? I could lay some cardboard under the mulch.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,083
    Your foxgloves are bienniel leaves year one flowers year two. I think the first is a nigella seedling. Not sure about two how long are the leaves and do they smeel if crushed? 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    edited May 2022
    Latimer said:
    Thanks @B3 and @Dovefromabove

Nigella is definitely a possibility, there's plenty of it not far from this location.

For the willow herb, which from a Google looks correct, digging out and a thick mulch should help? I could lay some cardboard under the mulch.
    For Willowherb just use a hand fork to ease the roots up and pull it out. Then learn to recognise the seedlings and weed or hoe them out. 
    Mulch will be good for the bed but it won’t stop Willowherb seeds drifting in on the breeze and taking root. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,083
    Yes use a fork don't just pull you will get the top and not the root.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 799
    edited May 2022
    Love in a mist, forget-me-not & willowherb?
    Yes I thought forget -me-not but couldn't be sure of the leaf size.
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 790
    Again, there is forget me not nearby but all of that is in full bloom at the moment, would seedlings still be appearing?
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,042
    Forget me not leaves are more oval - at least the ones in my garden are 
    In London. Keen but lazy.