Forum home Fruit & veg

Loganberry growers

BigladBiglad Posts: 3,034
edited May 2022 in Fruit & veg
Hi all,

Last May I bought 3 loganberry plants (£2 each) on a complete whim. Never eaten one and didn't really know what they were! I think the 'berry' bit is what drew me in ;) 

I split them into 6. Four of them are still in pots. The two bigger specimens are in a sun-drenched sheltered bed and looking great - 3 to 4 ft tall with lots of foliage and now flowering :) 

Does anybody else grow them? Any hints/tips/advice for a complete novice?
East Lancs

• EustaceEustace Posts: 1,993
    edited May 2022
    @Biglad I do grow them. They're prolific. They need to be planted in the ground. Only thing that needs to be done is cut off this year's branches after fruiting and tie in to supports, the new unfruited branches for next year. Hope you get a plentiful harvest.
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• BigladBiglad Posts: 3,034
    Brilliant. Thanks @Eustace

I'm looking to plant the best of the 4 potted ones in the ground when I can find a space for it. I'll be giving the others away as I understand they can take a lot of space and I ain't got much ;) 
    East Lancs
    edited May 2022
    @Biglad yes, they do take quite a lot of space. But, if you can tie them along a fence, similar to an espaliered tree, you might save some space. Mind you, some of the branches are over 12ft long and they have flowers and will fruit throughout that length. Well worth it, IMHO.
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• gjautosgjautos Posts: 425
    I grow them. Completely agree with @Eustace, the only thing I would add is, water regularly during the growing season. 
    Here is mine flowering:

That's superb @Eustace :) 

Mine doesn't compare but it's early days yet.

East Lancs
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 2,537
    I think loganberries are the best fruit ever and greatly underused. I think they may be a little sharp for a lot of people. Loganberry jam is my favourite.
    Can't wait to see if I get a crop and trying to make jam @Joyce Goldenlily
    East Lancs
    Thanks for the further info on the Harvest 2022 thread @Eustace.

This is where mine are up to. How much longer do you think before I get my first taste?

East Lancs
    Excellent. May be another week or two.