Forum home Plants

Jumbo Plugs arrived at the wrong time

UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 146
Just taken delivery of 30 jumbo plugs posted two days ago. Unpacked one  and they are in sets of five in plastic trays open in one side. 

I dont have any time at the moment so how long can I leave them before planting in the garden or into pots ? The trays are in cardboard envelopes so get no sun.

Do I need take them out of envelopes, water  and put back or what ?  I should be up for planting in about three to five days.  

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    Usually you get instructions with them advising you on what to do, but if no trace of that l would suggest leaving the packs open, checking for any dead and/or rotting leaves and removing them.
     I usually stand the plugs up right in their little "segment" rather than leaving them lying down. See how damp the compost is and water if you think necessary. 
    They should be fine for 3 days at least, depending on what they are, there may well be more information on the supplier's website under FAQ section.   
    Hope this helps
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    I'd make sure they're upright, as @AnniD suggests - much easier to keep them moist, but avoiding any rotting.
    Most plugs will benefit from potting on into small pots - 2 or 3 inches depending on the type of plant, and growing on for a while before planting out. It'll depend what they are, and how you intend using them though, as well as your general climate and conditions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 146
    Thanks but no time to pot on for a couple of days  Will be out most of the time so what should I do in the next hour or so to help them stay safe till  Tuesday or Wednesday !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    Just keep them ticking over re moisture and light, as per @AnniD's advice. If you keep them indoors and not exposed to too much hot sun, they'll be fine for a few days.
    If they're hardy plants, and look big enough,  they could be outside in a sheltered spot - again with not too much heat exposure, and as long as you're not going to get frosts.
    Even under a table or a bench or similar. I do that with small plants which don't need to be inside, but it keeps them from being fried or drowned, depending on the weather  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....