Forum home Garden design

Buddleja placement

RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 455
I'm working in a little patch at work, bit of an old photo this one, but there's two old fruit trees that snapped, where the arrows point, but have grown back small branches.
I'm sure this will never develop into a proper tree again?

Anyway, I have a buddleja that's going spare and I was thinking of putting it in one of those places. We have bee hives, so thought it would be good for them.

Do you think it would look a bit naff there?

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 455

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    It might look a bit random,  but who cares?  If anyone asks tell them it's part of a new wildlife friendly section that you are creating. 
    Are you planning on adding other plants in that area? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    I agree. Do what suits, and far better than binning the buddleia, especially if the other trees don't recover.  :)
    As @AnniD suggests - if you're able to add other plants, maybe you could also encourage some others to put a few wildlife friendly plants in too, as long as they aren't anything invasive etc.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I don't think anyone will care, I more care what people will think  :D
    I have planted pollinator friendly plants all along the borders, by the paving. Photo is Oct, so can see anything. They were all cuttings and spare plants I moved from my garden.
    I did want to put two new fruit trees in, but you know what it's like getting money out of companies!

I will put it there later today, it will certainly be appreciated by the bees!

I've out a wild flower patch in the grass area too, but it isn't in that photo. That will probably help once all in flower too, so the buddleja won't look too out of place.
  • Red TulipRed Tulip Posts: 15
    Re the snapped trees, we had to cut down a very very old bramley because it was dangerous after the trunk split. The tree surgeon left the stump at ground level which we never got around to removing. It began to sprout, and those sprouts are now 8ft high (pruned) and produce apples again- the tree was absolutely covered in blossom recently. This happened about 10 years ago, so I wouldn't give up on those trees just yet - plants are wonderfully resilient!
    Now I'll have to dig another hole! Lol
    I dug a new hole, ground was hard!

Will keep the other trees going.
    They did blossom this year and looked quite pretty.