Forum home Plants

Who stakes lilies?

borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 543
I grew tree lilies in big pots last year, and staked them. They were great (and the daily ritual lily-beetle hunt was strangely relaxing). But I got the feeling that if I hadn't staked them they may well have supported themselves. 

Do people on here stake their lilies? I'm thinking about not only my tree lilies, but also lilium regale which I've dotted around a couple of beds for the first time this year. 

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    I rarely used to bother unless one was particularly droopy. I always found them quite sturdy. I’ve conceded defeat to the lily beetles for the last couple of years though. It was a hard fought battle but their superior numbers inevitably prevailed in the end, and now I have no need to stake the scraggly little stumps that used to be my lilies!
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,541
    I don't stake tree lilies but I stake oriental lilies in pots.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Depends how windy the site is. I stake anything over about 12 inches!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    I don't usually, but it depends on where I have them. If they're tucked in with other plants around them, they're usually fine.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 678
    Mine tree lilies  grew over 8ft last year and didn’t need staking. 
    However some smaller ones that grow close to a fence were leaning away from that fence for more light, so to stop them from leaning too close to the ground I had to tie them up. 
    Lily beets - definitely catching them and getting rid of them. The only way to control them. Luckily they are very visible and easy to catch, so not a big deal. 
    Surrey
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 543
    Thanks everyone. They're in relatively sheltered spots. I'll see how the regale go in the beds, they're in amongst other plants anyway. The tree lilies I'll see how it goes for a while.. if they start leaning too much or there's strong winds forecast I might cave though..