Forum home Problem solving

Re-planting after vine weevil

I've never spotted any vine weevil in my garden until recently. A small rhododendron planted early last year developed leaf notching from the start, but i left it over winter in case it was only caterpillar damage as i have never seen any adult weevils.
Yesterday i dug it up to have a look at the roots, and there were loads of vine weevil grubs. The plant got binned, and i've left the hole open for birds to help themselves to any remaining grubs.
When would it be safe to plant something else in that space.
Sunny Dundee

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,541
    Good question. I left the holes for a few days and then didn’t plant anything in them for a couple of weeks. 

I dug around and tried to get them all but if any were left I guessed that they would die without the roots to eat. 

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 622
    Good question. I left the holes for a few days and then didn’t plant anything in them for a couple of weeks. 

I dug around and tried to get them all but if any were left I guessed that they would die without the roots to eat. 

Hopefully a few weeks should be fine for me too then.
    I wonder how long any eggs remain viable though.
    Sunny Dundee
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,197
    Don't know how long they last @Balgay.Hill, but if you'd washed all the soil off the rhodo, and replanted, or potted up temporarily,  it might have been ok. Would depend on how big it was, and how bad the damage though. If it was a small plant it would have been more vulnerable though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,541
    I can’t imagine the eggs are still viable. They lay up to the beginning of autumn so all of last year’s should have became the grubs you saw. 
    Fairygirl said:
    Don't know how long they last @Balgay.Hill, but if you'd washed all the soil off the rhodo, and replanted, or potted up temporarily,  it might have been ok. Would depend on how big it was, and how bad the damage though. If it was a small plant it would have been more vulnerable though. 
    It was a small plant from the bargain bin at B&Q, so no great loss. The grubs must have been in the pot when i bought it. I would rather be certain they were gone.
    Sunny Dundee
    I can’t imagine the eggs are still viable. They lay up to the beginning of autumn so all of last year’s should have became the grubs you saw. 
    Good info.  Thanks.
    Sunny Dundee
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    I think I would fork over that patch to turn up any lingering grubs for the birds to get.
    JennyJ said:
    I think I would fork over that patch to turn up any lingering grubs for the birds to get.
    I did turn over the soil.
    Sunny Dundee
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,092
    Then it should be safe to replant :). Maybe choose something that's not known to be particularly vulnerable to the little blighters, just in case.
    JennyJ said:
    Then it should be safe to replant :). Maybe choose something that's not known to be particularly vulnerable to the little blighters, just in case.
    I do hate an empty spot, and might just plant an annual for this year just to be on the safe side.  :)
    Sunny Dundee