Forum home Plants

Clematis montana var. grandiflora

Phil-RoboPhil-Robo Posts: 7
I have a Clematis montana var. grandiflora which is situated in the middle of my garden.

I think it's in the wrong location as it's a climber i believe, if so where is the best place to plant it?

MTIA

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,077
    I guess this is a fairly new purchase as they can get really big. They climb using tendrils so a strong arch is one option. Fixing to a fence panel is not a good idea as the fence panel will eventually break. They can be pruned after flowering. I have also seen them climbing through trees which you could also consider. However this could make any future pruning difficult.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221
    Our last montana used the garage as a climbing frame. Standard sized garage, completely roofed over with flowering plant. It covered the two short walls and a long one as well. Now I'm not saying it needs a building to support it, but think sturdy woodwork not flimsy trellis.

It will want it's roots in a fairly shaded spot, but once it's up a few feet the flowers seem to be fine in sun or shade. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    They get huge, so a building or large tree or similar is needed. If not, you need a very large, solid support, as said.
    The woman across the road from me has one which covers her entire shed and part of her garage. She had to cut it all back recently to get the shed re roofed.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Phil-RoboPhil-Robo Posts: 7
    Thanks Suze,

Yeah a fairly recent purchase without thinking about it's height and spread (not me the wife). I have a metal arch that i can put up which is big enough for it, i just need to find a good area to replant it. We are in a new build house 3 years old and the garden isn't very big and doesn't have any trees and the fence is the feather edge type.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,077
    @Phil-Robo Just been out for a walk and spotted one covering the tops of two trees. Guess you won't have to look far locally if you want to see just how it grows.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 849
    I have one planted at the foot of a 5 foot wall. I trained it along wires every 18 inches or so, and it covers about 40 foot of wall and is still growing.  :)
    Sunny Dundee
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    Unless your metal arch is very big and substantial - it really won't be big enough. It might be fine for a year or two until it really gets going. 

You only have to look at the posts to see the kind of proportions these plants reach  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 849
    When i said 40ft, it is about 20ft each side in front of the wall in layers and along the top. The white 'skeleton' looks good against the dark wall in winter when the leaves have gone.
    Sunny Dundee