Forum home Plants

Lantana

GrajeanGrajean Posts: 391
I have just bought a small Lantana plant from Lidl, already flowering. Never having grown one before I googled and to my horror discovered it is poisonous to dogs and can cause skin irritation on humans. Surely there should be  a word of warning on its label. Destination is bin. So disappointing

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,059
    @Grajean There are so many plants that can cause skin irritation. I have just purchased Ammi Majus from Sarah Raven and it did give a warning regarding cats and dogs. This is the first time I have noticed a grower pointing it out.
    Lilies are an obvious one to avoid if you have a cat. There is a classification for toxic plants and I can remember seeing it on plant labels many years ago. Not sure if there is any legal obligation on the part of the seller. I guess they just want to sell plants and leave it to us to find out.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,043
    If you look on the Dogs’ Trust website for the list of potentially harmful plants you might be horrified: azalea, aquilegia, gypsophila, bluebells, daffodils, box, buttercup, chrysanthemums, crocus, elder, cyclamen, ivy, foxglove, hellebore, geranium … the list goes on and on. Fortunately dogs have an innate sense of what is safe and are extremely unlikely to poison themselves (a view shared by my veterinary surgeon neighbour).  The lantana could have been spared to live a fuller life.
  • PatsyFaganPatsyFagan Posts: 51
    Lantana is also a magnet for butterflies and bees. 
    No-one knows if you have done your house-work, but everyone knows is you haven't done your gardening 
  • GrajeanGrajean Posts: 391
    Thanks everyone, very reassuring. I will rescue it from bin!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,289
    Mine is currently outside, enjoying some nice spring rain, part of its hardening off. I've had it years, starting from a littl'un and handle it frequently with no ill effects. In its pot it is now nearly as tall as me. Neither the dog nor any of the cats have ever paid it the slightest attention.
    It really enjoyed last year's hot weather and was covered with flowers :)
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I have a very silly dog who chews all sorts of rubbish but she has never so much as looked at my lovely  lantana. Dogs and gardens have coexisted for years, try not to worry too much.