Forum home Problem solving

Brunnera

I’ve planted a fairly new Brunnera… whilst it has grown to produce a few long stems with flowers, all the new growth in the centre is being eaten by slugs before it’s had a chance to grow. I planted it in April. Would it be an idea to dig it out and place in a container to allow it to establish more before replanting? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,374
    It depends what size it was when you planted it.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,230
    If it is a very small plant you are going to stress it more by moving it.  Dyou know the name of it some can be difficult to grow and some are easy. If the plant has a good size root ball I would do as you say. The same may happen next year as the new shoots emerge so best to sort out a better site  this autumn.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,512
    How strange, slugs have never eaten my Brunneras, I thought they didn't like them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Dawnie SmiffDawnie Smiff Posts: 21
    punkdoc said:
    It depends what size it was when you planted it.
    It was bought in a 2ltr pot and planted out in early April..
    If it is a very small plant you are going to stress it more by moving it.  Dyou know the name of it some can be difficult to grow and some are easy. If the plant has a good size root ball I would do as you say. The same may happen next year as the new shoots emerge so best to sort out a better site  this autumn.
    It does have a good root ball… I bought it in a 2ltr pot and only had small new growth at that time (early April).. I’m not sure of the exact name (stupidly threw away the card)… here’s a photo tho.. complete with my attempts to ward off the slugs!! Coffee granules and ash! (Worked for a short while!)
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,230
    @Dawnie Smiff Could it be B Jack Frost? It does look strong enough to move. As the season progresses the leaves get bigger. The flowers will die back and go brown then you would normally cut the stems off. There is another form called B Looking Glass which is more difficult to grow and I would have more concerns about digging that up.

Having seen the photo you could continue to keep an eye on it  hopefully those tiny leaves in the middle should grow bigger over the next few weeks.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,011
    edited 6 May
    That is almost certainly Brunnera 'Jack Frost'. In the right conditions it's a good strong grower and my gut feeling is that it will probably be ok once it gets going. If it makes you feel better I don't think there would be any problem lifting it and potting it up.

Once established it's an easy plant to divide and propagate so you can have a nice big clump of it. It's not a plant affected by slugs in my garden and I think yours will be fine next year.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    @Dawnie Smiff Could it be B Jack Frost? It does look strong enough to move. As the season progresses the leaves get bigger. The flowers will die back and go brown then you would normally cut the stems off. There is another form called B Looking Glass which is more difficult to grow and I would have more concerns about digging that up.

Having seen the photo you could continue to keep an eye on it  hopefully those tiny leaves in the middle should grow bigger over the next few weeks.

Yes! Jack Frost! That’s the one!… It’s grown a lot since I planted it.. it’s just the new leaves in the centre that seem to be getting munched..especially as we’ve had a few days of rain the slugs have been out on mass! May see how it goes over the coming days.. we have warmer days ahead so this may have a positive result and help it to establish more. If not, then I will pot up! Thankyou for your thoughts on this! 😊
    Topbird said:
    That is almost certainly Brunnera 'Jack Frost'. In the right conditions it's a good strong grower and my gut feeling is that it will probably be ok once it gets going. If it makes you feel better I don't think there would be any problem lifting it and potting it up.

Once established it's an easy plant to divide and propagate so you can have a nice big clump of it. It's not a plant affected by slugs in my garden and I think yours will be fine next year.
    Thanks! Yes.. you’re right, it is a Jack Frost… Found my ‘plants to buy’ list! 😆 Going to give it a bit longer in the ground and see how it goes… think the recent rain bought enticed the slugs and with the predicted warm spell I’m hoping this will give the plant time to flourish! Good to know it’s an easy plant to to propagate/divide.. Fingers crossed for the coming days..and if it’s munched to the bare bones.. I will lift and pot up! Thanks for your response!.. much appreciated!😊
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,374
    I would leave it, I think it will be fine.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver