Forum home Problem solving

New Turf Help

Hello,
I am new to gardening and do not have much of a clue! 

I recently got a contractor to put turf in our garden. It was levelled before the turf went down. This was 6 days ago and looked fine. 

Gradually it has started to change colour and massive patches are now tan in colour and look a bit dead. 

I have watered it every day and have a sprinkler so not sure if i’m missing something. 

Can anyone assist with the solution?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,104
    How long are you leaving the sprinkler on each section for? If you've had the kind of dry and windy weather that we've had, it probably needs about an hour. The water needs to get right through the turf and into the soil below. I'm assuming the contractor tamped it down properly to get good contact between the roots and the soil.
  • GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 4
    Thank you for replying. 

The sprinkler is left on for twenty minutes per section. That’s after I’ve watered the entire turf for around 30 mins. We’ve had the same weather, warm and dry with no rain unfortunately!

I’m not too sure so I can only assume so too unless there’s a way to check. The one part I lifted to see underneath was done easily if that makes a difference. 

It’s very patchy so not sure if it’s dead or will come back to life
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,311
    Turf needs water, water and more water. Best done on an evening to reduce evaporation.
  • GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 4
    Thank you. 

I’m hoping it rains soon but I don’t think it’s forecasted. 

Should I be worried about overwatering at all? 
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,311
    You'll have a job over watering that, it's going brown so needs loads of water and pretty regular too
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,615
    I think you'll be fine watering as suggested above :) 
    It's surprising just how much water a newly laid lawn requires, and there are certain areas of the UK that haven't had any rain of note for quite a while. The fact that you can still lift the turf easily shows that it hasn't started to "take" yet.
    Water it as advised and see what happens, and let us know. If for any reason it still looks dreadful after a week or so, it may require a plan B.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,409
    It’s not just the turf that needs watering … the water needs to penetrate through the turf and soak the soil below the turf … only then will the roots grow down from the turf into the soil and begin to establish as a lawn. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,302
    Good luck with it...but how bizarre to have the whole area turfed. Those fence panels will be getting soaked every single day to water the turf. Presumably will be cutting in some beds into it at a later stage? 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,104
    I agree, give it more water, even if it rains a bit. Anything short of a solid downpour for an hour or more isn't going to be enough. When you lift a bit of the turf, is the soil underneath wet? it should be after you've watered.
    Looking again at the picture, it does seem to be individual turves that are worst affected and there's one good green one in between brown ones, so I'm wondering if some of them got too dry between lifting and laying. Maybe worth a query to the contractor - tell them you've followed their instructions but some of the turves have gone brown.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,264
    Unless you have hours of steady rain, you need to water very thoroughly and for long enough. Hours not minutes.
    20 mins for one section doesn't even touch it - literally. 

It's very hard to overwater grass, unless it's on the wrong type of ground - ie soggy, which won't suit it anyway. It wouldn't thrive here if that was the case.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....