Forum home Plants

Agapanthus

darren hansen 134darren hansen 134 CambridgePosts: 105
I am looking at purchasing some agapanthus Black Magic and wondering can I plant them in pots for a few years..or would they be better and flourish in the ground.. Cambridge England.. thanks

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,048
    I have 3 large pots of Dr Brouwer which are supposed to be evergreen, they aren't where I am. I put them in the greenhouse during winter. I planted them up 3 years ago this summer. I have 1 large pot of Fireworks which is evergreen here. I put it in the greenhouse last winter because I didn't want to risk losing them as I only bought them last year. They are fine. I might have to plant them out at some point but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I feed them during the season.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    The evergreens won't survive winter outside here but I do grow the deciduous ones in the garden lots of water and feed they flower well.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    If you are looking for one that flowers really well {I had 40 plus flowers on 6 plants] Navy Blue is wonderful. It is deciduous planted in the garden full sun tight along a path.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    I have Black Magic in the ground and it sat for a year or two then really took off.
    Devon.