Forum home Fruit & veg

Too chilly for Chilli's?

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,677
My Chilli's and Padrons are on the windowsill in the house, and about 12 inches tall. Average of 21c is predicted for the next week or so, with a minimum temperature of about 12c.

Would it be safe to move them to our unheated greenhouse now? They will stay there for the Summer, so no hardening off to do.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,948
    I'd say Yes but you could always have some fleece to hand if you think they'll need it.
    I only have Peppers this year but they've been in the unheated GH now for about 3 weeks.  Chillies last year went in about the same time as far as I remember.
    SW coastal Somerset here so could be different for others.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,710
    We have sown indoors chillies and peppers and now this week, they have been transplanted into the polytunnel for as  always to produce
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 665
    My chillies went into the greenhouse on Monday and so far have been down to 9C. Last year they put up with 5C and still went on to produce lots of fruit. They may sulk for a bit but should be fine long-term.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,677
    Thanks @philippasmith2 @bertrand-mabel and @VictorMeldrew I wish I had put them in there a few weeks ago, as it has been very mild here in the South East, and they are taking up so much space indoors.

I'll move them to the greenhouse this morning, and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

• Might be worth a shot. I've had tomatoes germinating in my bed. It's warming up so should get away with it. A lot of gardening is about experimenting and not always sticking to the exact dates in gardening books.
    Happy Gardening
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,128
    Well, I've got a propagator in my bedroom and dahlias on the windowsill, but tomatoes in my bed would be pushing things a bit far!