Forum home The potting shed

Delivery costs going off the scale.

1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 158
edited May 2022 in The potting shed
I was searching for one of the Geka Soft Rain lances and found a couple of companies that were slightly cheaper. I filled in the online order form, checking out as a 'Guest' only to get to the delivery costs which in both cases was almost £16. This for an item weighing less than a kilo.

I appreciate fuel and other costs have shot up recently but this is way off the scale. Needless to say that as much as I'd love one, I didn't bother on this occasion.
Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.

• B3B3 Posts: 25,206
    Have you tried Amazon?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 10,268
    I don't think it's unusual.
    They deliberately advertise a product quite cheap so it appears toward the top of the listings and it's only when you get to the checkout you get hit with extortionate and unrealistic P&P charges. So of the £16 P&P you were quoted the real cost of P&P is probably closer to £5
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 9,349
    Well note that P&P means postage and packaging so while some companies factor the packaging and labour costs into the price others will add it at the end.
    Another thing to watch out for now is that sharp objects often require age verification delivery where the postman checks your ID before handing over the goods. This seems to be adding £2-4 to delivery charges. It's a new law that has come in to prevent Hori Hori and secateurs from being used in gangland knife crime. :#
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • 1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 158
    B3 said:
    Have you tried Amazon?
    Yes, theirs was a fair bit dearer but when all the postage costs (Prime membership) were included, the lances worked out at roughly the same price.

I noticed also on Amazon that I needed to buy an extra fitting to get the lance to work with my Hozelock connections.
    Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.
  • 1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 158
    Well note that P&P means postage and packaging so while some companies factor the packaging and labour costs into the price others will add it at the end.
    Another thing to watch out for now is that sharp objects often require age verification delivery where the postman checks your ID before handing over the goods. This seems to be adding £2-4 to delivery charges. It's a new law that has come in to prevent Hori Hori and secateurs from being used in gangland knife crime. :#
    I came across the 'age verification' thing only last week. I had ordered a pack of razor blades and needed my age checked as well as a photo of me holding the tiny parcel.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 8,816
    I once had to provide age verification for a knife block (just the block, no knives) from Amazon. I suspect there's something automated going on and it picks up on the word "knife".
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,033
    You think that's bad.  I had an age verification request in M&S - for potatoes.  The woman monitoring the self-service tills just said "Yes, we have lots of problems like that", and they wonder why I have self-service tills.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,667
    Sainsburys had age verification for Rum Baba as it contains alcohol.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,407
    That I can understand :) One of my childhood memories is of a friend of my grandmother singing on the back steps after eating one of mum's home made babas!