Crocosmia?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I also think it is Crocosmia.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Me too.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    Is it possible that it’s gladioli baby bulbs? I have similar and I don’t remember having crocosmia in the garden but I have gladioli which might have reproduced?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    They look like my gladioli that are in pots (they were a freebie and I had nowhere to put them). My crocosmias don't have that darker bit at the base, the gladioli do (could possibly depend on variety though).
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,336
    It is possible @Ilikeplants. I grow 'nanus' type gladioli and also a 'papilio' type and both self seed, so you may have babies coming up.

Crocosmia is probably more likely though
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Could it be Acidanthera (Abyssinian gladiolus)? I have had things like this popping up from the tiny little bulbs produced by the main bulbs.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 732
    I thought crocosmia to begin with but they are very widely spaced, unless deliberately planted that way, so gladioli wold be more likely from that respect. 
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    they look very like my Gladiolius Byzantius, although mine are a good bit further on and some have flower buds, but if you are behind where you are maybe a possibility?
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    @raisingirl we also have "papilio" and the flowers are so striking. It self seeds all over the place and certainly the young seedlings look like your photo @darrenhansen134