Forum home Plants

keeping pinks tidy

berardeberarde Posts: 135
It has been a real trooper going all through winter with at least one flower. It could do with a tidy up, and Im not sure whether to cut back the dead flower stalk to the next bud or whether to just give it a shear over. It is getting a bit woody  in the middle.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I always have to cut mine back to encourage new fresh growth. They look shocking after winter. 
    You can also peg pieces down to encourage a bit of layering, and also just add some compost and/or grit over the bare bits.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 198
    I take cuttings every couple of years and replant. They don't age gracefully. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I divide mine, and also take cuttings now and again, but some are better than others though, just in general. 
    I have a shocking pink one which looks dreadful in winter, but it always comes back with  a vengeance. It survived workmen trampling on it to roughcast the gable of the house. It's indestructible  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    I put mine out of the way in a sheltered spot and cut them back late winter. Just taken this pic, ready to flower again this year. I think I'll take cuttings this year.