Forum home Plants

Growing things in broken terracotta pots.

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,080
I have successfully grown sempervivum in broken pots for many years but I have some large bits from the base of large containers and pots which are naturally quite shallow but deep enough to hold a reasonable amount of soil.I was wondering if it would be possible to grow alpines in them. If so, which ones? Or could I try something else.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    I've tried a few alpines in a trough, with varying success!  The best performers have been Erodium, like a small hardy geranium with similar flowers, and Sea thrift, Armeria maritima.  Both need to be in a free draining mix of 50/50 soil/grit.  I also have a variegated thyme in a similar mix and it looks happy!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,080
    edited May 2022
    Great. Thanks @Plantminded. Sea thrift is a lovely little plant . Thyme sounds good to. Will have a look at erodium.
    Soil as in garden soil or compost?
    Edit: love erodium!
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
    edited May 2022
    A second vote for Erodium. I grow Erodium x variabile William Bishop and Erodium reichardii Album and I love both, but I think in terms of form, Album takes the top place - William Bishop gets a bit matted and brown sometimes. 

I also grow Sisyrinchium (E K Balls I think it's called...) - some are pretty invasive but this one seems well behaved. Very pretty. 

You could also try Alchemilla erythropoda - a well-behaved cousin of A. mollis with smaller leaves and red stems. It's a lovely contrast to the grassier foliage of thrift and sisyrinchium. 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    edited May 2022
    Soil as in garden soil or top soil @B3 - they need few nutrients, compost will be too rich and water retentive.  Glad you like Erodium!
    edited May 2022
    Thanks @Plantminded I have garden soil and grit!
    I'm not keen on AM @BlueBirder but I'll give it a look along with your other suggestions.
    Edit: alchemilla. I can't like it 😕 Sis. Lovely.
    I'm beginning to wish I had more broken containers!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    edited May 2022
    Lots of saxifrages would be fine. Thrift certainly. Arabis would also be fine.
    Good gritty soil for the thrift and arabis. Saxifrages are mostly fairly easy in anything as long as they don't dry put too much. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Tried some saxifrages. Slugs hide under them and foray ( wordle word) out to attack other plants. The collaberators have been composted . I think I might have arabis already  or something similar. Will investigate.