Forum home Plants

newly arrived Geranium Bill Wallis very leggy - suggestions?

BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
Hi everyone, looking to pick your more experienced brains again. 

I ordered Geranium Bill Wallis and it has just arrived looking pretty leggy. I know it is a pretty lax, loose geranium so I'm not sure if this is to be expected or not... 

There is plenty of growth around the end of the stems but not much from the base. 

Is there anything I can do to encourage it to fill out a bit, or is this pretty much normal? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,998
    Very leggy. I'd chop that back if it was mine. Most geraniums don't mind that at all, so I can't see that it would be any different   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,324
    I'd either plant it out or pot it on and chop it back
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
    thanks @raisingirl and @Fairygirl - how much would you chop off? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,998
    I'd take it back to those shorter stems with leaves on, at the leaf joints. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,073
    @BlueBirder Bill Wallis is very easy to grow so I am sure it will soon bounce back. I had to give up on it as it liked my garden so much it came up everywhere.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
    Thanks all! Much appreciated.