Forum home Plants

Hedgerow help please

Hi, I recently had a thread in plant ID as I plan to make a mixed native hedge for my fathers new garden. The garden has been untouched for around 8 years and is covered in brambles and various shrubs. I am looking to use the native plants which have established themselves already, I intend to carefully move them to the perimeters of the garden and was looking for any advice in doing so, also, could it be achievable to keep the hedge under 10 foot. Here are the hedgerow plants we intend to use and were kindly identified by the user 'silver surfer'
Cotoneaster, rowan tree, rosa, silver birch.
Thank you

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Hi @ryanward1982/ Moving them would depend on how mature they are. Cotoneasters are pretty easy, but it would be a case of trying to get as big a piece with viable roots as possible, having the border ready and well prepped, and then making sure it had adequate aftercare - watering especially. I've moved rowans without any problem, and I expect the other two could be moved as well, with the right care.

The only drawback is- I'm not sure they'd all make good hedging plants. The rosa rugosa [I'm assuming it's that?] and cotoneaster are often used in hedging, but the rowan and birch may not do so well, because they really want to be trees. Rowans also need plenty of water ,so they could be compromised. 
    Others may have experience of using them successfully though   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Hi @ryanward1982/ Moving them would depend on how mature they are. Cotoneasters are pretty easy, but it would be a case of trying to get as big a piece with viable roots as possible, having the border ready and well prepped, and then making sure it had adequate aftercare - watering especially. I've moved rowans without any problem, and I expect the other two could be moved as well, with the right care.

The only drawback is- I'm not sure they'd all make good hedging plants. The rosa rugosa [I'm assuming it's that?] and cotoneaster are often used in hedging, but the rowan and birch may not do so well, because they really want to be trees. Rowans also need plenty of water ,so they could be compromised. 
    Others may have experience of using them successfully though   :)
    Thanks for the advice, I shall stick with cotoneaster and rosa. I am unsure of the type but I have attached pics of the way it looks at the moment, shall I add fertiliser to the trench before transferring? Thank you
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    I'd make sure there's some reasonable soil for them to get planted into - you can add manure or compost or similar if the soil isn't great. A sprinkle of BF&Bone on planting, watering and a mulch of bark or similar will help retain moisture and keep weeds and grass etc at bay.  :)
    I don't know what your rose is. The pix are too blurry and I don't grow any roses as I dislike them, but someone else might be able to ID them . Likely to be rugosa or canina as those are pretty common.
    Hawthorn would be a good addition to a wildlife hedge. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    @ryanward1982 brilliant that you are trying to create a local hedge.
    Hope you have great success...it will be worth it for all the wildlife.