Forum home Problem solving

HELP PLEASE LAWN GRASS WEED

Hi all, 

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to remove what I think is a type of grass weed. Picture below. I'm unsure exactly what it is. After a bit of reading people reccomend digging the patches out and reseeding, but I have so many patches at various sizes if I was to attempt this I would end up digging up the entire lawn. I'm looking for a chemical killer that I can spray over the whole lawn that targets this type of weed ? Then when its dead I can re seed all patches. It has thick woody roots, thicker than 'normal' lawn grass and seems to grown from central clumps. After cutting it appears much browner than the rest of the grass.
Any help appreciated!! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,101
    I’m afraid that there is no weedkiller which can distinguish between grass that you like and grass that you don’t like.

It’s all grass.

If you really can’t live with a little bit of natural variation in your lawn then you are going to have to rip the whole lot up and start again.

If it were my lawn I’d live with it, but it’s your call.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    edited 3 May
    Hello @samuel.c.sparks and welcome to the forum 😊 

I’m afraid what you’re seeking doesn’t exist. 

There are what are called ‘selective’ weedkillers … however the only way they work is to target either ‘broad-leaved weeds’ or ‘narrow-leaved weeds’ … and as grasses are all ‘narrow-leaved’, anything that kills one type of grass will kill them all … 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    These coarser grasses often appear in long dry periods, as they're more resilient, and take over from the other less robust ones. As the others have said, you can't kill one type, without killing them all. 
    If it bothers you a lot, you can dig these sections out and then re seed. That's really the only way.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the response. The issue is probably my picture. It isn't just a little bit of variation, there are over 35 + patches of brown thick matted grass that are ever growing on a fairly small lawn. If I leave it growing the way its I can see it taking over the entire lawn. 
    I think it maybe Yorkshire Fog / Quackgrass or crab grass. Step 1 is for me to identify it before doing anything (manual removal or weed kill). Any ideas what it is? 
    Until it flowered it would be hard to say. Do you have a photo of the roots by any chance? They can be a clue.
  • Thanks! Few pictures below of roots. It seems to grow outwards from clumps that just keep getting bigger consuming more of the lawn, it seems to have what looks like a shallow matted root system. It's easy ish to pull out but there's too many smaller clumps to do by hand 😞

• MrMowMrMow Posts: 68
    IN the pro world we use to have a product called Rescue, and it did exactly what you wanted to be able to do, it  hit certain grasses but it is no longer available. And was only available with a chemical licence and on golf courses.

So yes you could target certain grasses.

Certain grasses like Yorkshire fog and broad leaf grasses do not like to be cut and thinned out, so little and gentle vericutting (very light scarifying )through the sward can help, also a sharp Stanley blade and regular cutting will refine the leafs. a few minutes with a springbok every time you cut can help as well but do not expect change overnight, its the little and often approach that works. 

A few other ways are available but it is not anything I would post about.

I have wild grasses in my lawn you learn to manage them , knife/ rake Good stiff broom for starters.

I never knew retirement would be so busy. :smile:

• Thanks everyone for the speedy responses. Sounds like most agree that the manual removal route is the one for me. Looks like a good few days of work to rake out / vericutting :( on a regular basis. I may try to weed kill a small patch of it in one of the corners as a tester vs just the manual tear out. Would love to know what the name of the grass is if anyone knows!??
    Stick a bit in a pot, let it flower and then come back to us. 🙂
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,445
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).