Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond snails

I've got 2 large snails in my pond which I didn't introduce and also have lots of tiny little ones although haven't seen so many of them this year. Does anyone know if the big ones are a problem that I should get rid of or are they doing a perfect job in keeping the pond healthy?

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Posts: 455
    Have you put any new plants in recently?
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,641
    Pond snails do help to keep the algae down.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 9,970
    You may be able to ID from here-
    Some of the bigger ones eat the smaller ones - some even eat fish and newts!!
    https://pondinformer.com/guide-to-garden-pond-snails/
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LizaJLizaJ Posts: 51
    No plants since last year.

They look like Great Pond Snails so I'm happy for them to stay cleaning the pond as they go. 

I have lots of Newts & Frogs but only a few Tadpoles now.
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 2,133
    I also have some large snails in my pond.
    Mine are almost an inch across and look like ammonites. They, or the eggs, must have arrived on a plant as I have never put any in the pond myself. They have never posed a problem so I just leave them alone. I don't have any that look like yours Liza.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,338
    Great pond snails.  Probably eggs or tiny snails came via plants or on birds legs.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Snails are a natural part of a healthy pond. Many garden centres sell ramshorn snails for around £1 each. these are also a great addition. Only buy a handful as they breed prolifically. My pond edge is littered with their remains from blackbirds and thrushes feeding on them
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,193
    It's the ramshorn ones you have @Joyce Goldenlily.
    It's the crows which usually eat mine, but they certainly do breed well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 2,133
    I very rarely see a live ramshorn. I just collect the empty shells and bin them. I have never seen a crow in my garden, nor have I seen any other bird feeding on the snails so I assume my ramshorns just live out their normal life span. 
    That does not mean birds do not visit my pond when I am not looking!

Yesterday I took a cup of tea and sat by my pond to drink it. I was highly amused at the tadpoles which collected around the edge of a raft fish pellets stuffing their faces. I suddenly had the feeling I was being watched and then realised that two frogs were sitting on top of the pond weed watching me. The first of my fish have come out of hibernation but were not particularly excited at being fed. I always worry over how many fish I may have lost during the winter but it will be another week or two before the full regiment present themselves. So far one Golden Orfe, one Shubunkin and one Comet, all much grown since last year. Almost big enough to go on the barbeque.