Forum home Plants

Container fig repot question

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
edited May 2022 in Plants
  • Following @KT53 advice we managed to lever the fig into the container.

Unfortunately,  I put too much JI3  in the bottom  and the root ball is standing a bit proud of the container 

There's  no way it's  coming  out again!
    Should I trim the top flat? That's where the majority  of roots are which might be an issue. 
    Hoped it would settle down a little  when watered in but the water has been turned off. major gas works in another  road. They've probably  burst a water main 😠
    Copied from C C .makes more sense to have its own thread.
  • Grateful for any advice
In London. Keen but lazy.

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,054
    I would be reluctant to trim the top, but that is advice based on gut feeling not knowledge. My inclination would be to create a little channel around the outer edge next to plastic pot and add water - frequently - to that rill.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    I was thinking along those lines too @BenCotto
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,760
    You may find that the plant will drop once it is well watered @B3.  I am currently thinking about what do do with a fig I bought a few weeks ago.  The article linked below has put me right off siting it in the ground!  The roots are very invasive but can be pruned without any harm - you could consider doing this if it still concerns you after watering: Are Fig Trees and Roots Invasive? - All About Figs

Hope this helps.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    Thanks @Plantminded. I'll have a look..