Forum home Plants

Camillia

Sheila 5Sheila 5 Posts: 51
 I planted a Camillia along a South East facing fence. All the blooms have turned to the fence, I've never seen plants turning away from the light in all my 65 years of gardening.
Any ideas why this should happen?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    Has it been there a long time, or is it recently planted?
    If it's recently planted, then it may just need to settle in and get used to its environment.
    Both of my neighbours have camellias and they have blooms all over.

Not all flowers will follow the sun.
    Flowers that do follow the sun like sunflowers are known as heliotropic plants and include most of the daisy family amongst many others.
    I don't think that camellias are heliotropic, so they should produce flowers all over regardless of aspect.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Sheila 5Sheila 5 Posts: 51
    Thank you so much, Pete from Essex...where I grew up, your information is both helpful and encouraging, The Camillia was planted in the last eight months. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    It's only establishing then. I wouldn't be worried, unless it's not happy in the site it's in.
    South east isn't a very good aspect for them, unless they have other planting around to mitigate the weather. Early morning sun after frosts is bad news for emerging flowers, and if they get a lot of sun the foliage gets bleached. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sheila 5Sheila 5 Posts: 51
    Thanks for that advice, much appreciated. Sheila
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    The flower buds which are now open were forming last year, before you bought it, so they just opened in the direction that they formed.

The buds that will form this year and open next year have no excuse to be pointing the wrong way! :)
    Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    As @Pete.8 says - the flower buds form in late summer, which is why it's also very important to make sure they aren't short of water at that time. 
    If there's sufficient shade for it, and the soil doesn't dry out readily, it might be ok in the aspect it's in.
    Camellias are basically woodland plants - deciduous woodland, so they're open enough to the weather through autumn and winter, but have some shelter during summer so that they don't fry. 
    They grow extremely well here as the climate is ideal - damper and cooler   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....