Forum home Plants

Potting on annuals into one pot

davidw87davidw87 Posts: 7
Hi

I've grown some annuals (e.g. sunflower and cosmos) and pricked out the seedlings into small pots (one per seedling). Once the roots started to show at the bottom, I potted them on to 3 plants per 9-inch diameter pot - as per photo - which are now in my conservatory.

Is this alright or could it cause any issues? The reason I've done it like this is because I don't have space inside for each plant to have its own pot. Once the nights have got a bit warmer I plan to then pot them on into individual larger pots outside and plant some in the ground.

Thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
    I would use separate pots for the sunflowers. Cosmos you could plant as three in a largish pot.  They won't separate well once they grow.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    I'd agree - the sunflowers will get quite big very soon.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    The problem is with separation when the roots all grow into a tangle. Here in the South, my plants are already hardened off and going into the ground as they become big enough to cope. I know it's a pain, but you would do well to take them out during the day, then in at night, but they will do better in separate pots, even if they are a bit crowded for a week or two.