Forum home Plants

Plant ID needed, please!

zugeniezugenie Posts: 605
Very strawberry like but wasn’t sure if they were actually strawberries! Weren’t planted by me and there’s a lot of weeds in the garden so I would be grateful for an ID, please!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,493
    Hello zugenie. Your plants are definitely strawberries - possibly the wild ones if they are small plants. Mine seed all over the place but have a fantastic flavour.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,031
    Might it be a wild strawberry Zugenie or even a cultivated one from a seed deposited by a bird.
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 605
    Thank you both! Rare to find something that’s actually nice in this garden!!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    Some taste good, I've heard. The ones in my garden are tasteless  and are a  PITA weed that gets into the middle of perennials and is an absolute bggggr to get out.
    Have a taste of yours and see which kind you have before you give it free rein @zugenie
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,079
    I have tried some wild ones,  a very intense strawberry taste yum!
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,895
    Yes we have them all over our garden and must be birds that delivered the seeds!
    However we have never felt confident about eating the small fruits but what you are all saying maybe we should.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Absolutely they are delicious 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,573
    Yes strawberries, they look exactly like my wild ones.
    There is nothing you can confuse them with, possibly the blind strawberry but it's not harmful just tasteless