Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea help please

Jo_WJo_W Posts: 16
Not sure what's happening to the leaves on my hydrangea, it's in a pot and a very sunny part of the garden.  I initially thought it was bugs, but I spray it regularly with bug repellent so beginning to think it's something else.

Any help is most appreciated, thank you

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,672
    I think it may be down to cold weather, cooler overnight temperatures can make the leaves change colour. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    It's in a pot and in the sun. Not ideal either  :)
    Very few of them are happy in sun, and most aren't happy long term in pots. 
    That does look like frost damage though. It makes it worse if they get morning sun on them after frosts too. 

There's no point using sprays for insects if you don't know if anything's wrong. You kill all the beneficial insects too  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Jo_WJo_W Posts: 16
    Ahh OK, yes it is in a very sunny spot, but gets the sun from mid-day onwards to early evening and yes it's also in a pot! I had the same issue last year and it didn't flourish like I'd hoped it would. 

I've actually got the perfect place for it in my flowerbed at the bottom of the garden, it still gets sun, but not for as long a period. Looks like I have some replanting to do tomorrow :smile:

Thank you 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,228
    @Jo_W If you go ahead with your planting today, it would be a good idea to water the hole well before planting. Place the Hydranga in the hole and soak the roots then back fill with soil/compost. This encourages the roots downwards and is a good way to plant in dry weather. You may need to give it a good soak weekly until the Autumn.

@GardenerSuze thank you, I never thought to do that, but makes perfect sense when you think about it :smile: just debating where to put it, I've another flower bed but it's more shady (it get's some sun in the morning), but I think it will be a better position for it. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    edited 2 May
    Shade is ideal @Jo_W, as long as it isn't dry shade due to large shrubs/trees etc.
    Making sure the rootball is thoroughly moistened before planting is always really important with something that's been in a pot. If it's dry at all, it can remain that way, even after being well watered once in the ground, because the water doesn't always penetrate it well enough, and will tend to soak into the surrounding soil instead  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,364
    If a rootball in a pot is dry, the best way to water it before planting, is to submerge the potted plant into a bucket of water, until the air bubbles stop. This will ensure the plant is moist before planting.
    Watering the hole prior to planting, is also very useful, when planting in dry conditions.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
    Thank you everyone for the really helpful tips, the Hydrangea has been re-homed and is doing well, I followed the advice and watered the hole, then put the hydrangea in, left it for a while while I planted a few other things, then back filled the hole (actually felt like an accomplished gardener for once!) :smiley:

It's already looking healthier :smile: