Forum home Plants

Indoor Plant help, please

Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213
Hi - I have a Fatsia Japonica that's been really happy up to now - recently repotted and thriving.  Now, just a few days after being watered (the soil is well drained and NOT soggy!), it's looking sad and limp and I have no idea what's wrong.  It's location and light exposure haven't changed.  Any suggestions?  Thanks :)

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,433
    Despite being sold as House Plants, Fatsia japonica are really best planted out in the garden - dampish shade suits them and they can then grow to quite large shrubs.
    As you have repotted recently ( presumably checked for rotting roots ? ), you could try popping it outside for a summer holiday.
    Sadly, as a permanent house plant, I think you could be on a bit of a loser.
    See what others think tho :)
  • Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213
    Thanks :)  I have several in the garden, all thriving, I'm really just curious why the indoor one went from being happy for two years to suddenly not happy in the space of about three days...
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,433
    Anxious to join it's friends in the garden perhaps ? :D   
    You obviously know about these plants tho so a bit of a mystery :)
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    How much larger is the new pot from the old?  Possible overwatering?  (Plants go limp with overwater as well as under).  How long ago was the repotting?  Transplant shock?  
    Utah, USA.
  • Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213
    All good points!  New pot only a couple cm bigger than old one, same type of soil, repotting was about ten days ago.  I've decided to ignore it for a week or so till the soil dries out a fair bit as it did get a really decent watering after repotting.  I left it to drain overnight so I know it's not sitting in water, but maybe the watering was too much?