Forum home Plants

Another shrub to identify please

Can anybody help with this one. large leathery leaves. No flowers, just tiny white berries in clusters. Evergreen. Planted in a shaded area under a twisted willow tree against an easterly wall.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    viburnum Davidii
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019
    Agree.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Wow, that was quick. Very many thanks to you both. Perfect. It's name is a mouthfull....LOL...thought it might have a common name. Again thank you
    regards
    victor
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,852
    I had several of these and they are beautiful shrubs.
    If you're fortunate to have both male and female plants the white flowers will be followed by deep blue berries in the autumn that are really eye catching
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,040
    @victor154lFvW5WyS Hi and welcome. I would pronouce it Viburnham Da vid-e i .
    It looks a lovely specimen must be happy. I  try to use the latin if I can so everyone knows what I mean. All Viburnhams are lovely there are so many to choose from and they suit most soils.   Well worth growing. 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Thanks to all for your comments.
    We have had this for years and never knew its name .... It does grow strongly and drops some leaves at sometime in the year, which go very black as they dry up. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,040
    @victor154lFvW5WyS Yes that's it the leaves go very black as they dry up.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.