Forum home Plants

Salvia Feathers Flamingo ('Bocoffla')

BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 156
Does anyone grow this plant?

I can't find any consistent information about it on the internet. 

It is described on Crocus as being 'Fully Hardy' and yet on RHS is given a rating of H3. Elsewhere on the internet it is given ratings H7 and H5.

Some sites suggest it is a cultivar of Salvia nemorosa, some that it is a hybrid of S. nemorosa and S. jurisicii. 

Any thoughts? 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,932
    I can't speak to the parentage, but salvias are often given widely different hardiness ratings in the UK - companies widely differ in their estimation. I've seen this often with Greggii types, for example - one plant described as hardy or tender, depending on the site.

I personally find RHS pretty useless in their detailing. They cover all bases to cover their butts, just in case. It seems Crocus (and other big firms) under-estimate risk in the effort to flog all they can. And the RHS over-estimate in an effort to not be caught out.

As a last thought, I can imagine some cultivars are so new that nobody is yet sure how they cope with cold or UK conditions - Aberdeen to Essex.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,115
    @BlueBirder You could take a look at Middletons Salvias on line if anyone knows their salvias they do!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 999
    According to the plant patent the hardiness rating is "At least U.S.D.A zones 4-10."  (Seems a very wide range to me!)

US Patent for plant named ‘Bocoffla’ Patent (Patent # PP 34,083 issued March 29, 2022) - Justia Patents Search

One of the parents is identified as S. jurisicii, the other as "unknown".

It's probably best to treat it as tender and take cuttings later in the year as a safeguard.

Hope this helps.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,218
    Reading the patent, the plant has not been around long enough for any true idea of hardiness to be obtained. I would treat as fully tender.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver