Forum home Plants

Colletia expert

Steve230Steve230 Posts: 7
Hi there, I've been after a colletia paradoxa for a while, and I finally managed to buy one this week.
However, it doesn't look like a paradoxa.  Given that I've only seen mature paradoxas and the one I've purchased is a baby at only 20cm high,
 I may be misreading the situation.  
It could be a hystrix or a spinosissima I suppose.  
If I sent you some pictures, could you help please?
Cheers,
Steve

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    Got to be worth a try, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum :) 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,114
    @steve230 I have only ever seen photographs of this plant, curious and beautiful.
    You have done well to be able to purchase one. I am suprised that the seller wasn't able to give you more information, I guess they weren't sure either. I am sure it must be rare in the UK bu as you mentiont it is important to get the correct name. If you are a member of the RHS that might be somewhere else to try. You could try a photo on here if it loads upside down don't worry it happens. 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Hi - not an expert, but I agree that you could ask the seller for more information. I didn't know this plant, so googled it, and I see that both Birmingham and Cambridge botanic gardens have it. You could send them a photo? Kew may also be able to help.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,114
    I did say I have seen just a photo of this plant but I am beginning to wonder if I have seen it somewhere. Could be Cambridge botanic possibly under glass. 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Steve230Steve230 Posts: 7
    Thanks you all for the replies.  I bought it from a reputable seller and the plant label does say colletia paradoxa.
    I've attached a few pics.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I wonder if it will become more obvious as it develops. I would research then keep an open mind ,watch how it develops.