Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird ID no pic unfortunately

B3B3 Posts: 24,435
edited April 2022 in Wildlife gardening
It's like a fat sparrow with a pointy black beak. Too big to be a wren and it's running about on the ground in an unsparrowlike fashion. Much smaller than a  starling.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• FireFire Posts: 17,116
    edited April 2022
    Colour? Dunnock?  They are ground feeders.
  • B3B3 Posts: 24,435
    edited April 2022
    Sparrow coloured but pointy beak  and running about.
    Will Google dunnocks😊
    You're right @Fire. I have a dunnock!
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Good for you!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,180
    They [dunnocks] have pinkish legs. They're not very like sparrows really,  as the black stripey markings are quite distinctive, and the heads are completely different. Grey lower areas.  Different shape and size.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    edited April 2022
    I was was watching it from upstairs. According to the RSPB, it runs along the side of walls , hedges and the like. It was certainly doing that. Too far away to see the stripes but the head wasn't sparrowy. 
    It appeared again. Looked through binoculars. It has a speckled chest. Probably a juvenile.
     Back again today so he must be living locally. I keep thinking it's a mouse when I agree him out of the corner of my eye.
    edited May 2022
    Here he is  . very tame   the wheelbarrow  is heaving with worms and crawly  things so he won't  go hungry 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,738
    Doesn't look like a Dunnock to me ... it's too chunky/dumpy ... Dunnocks are quite svelte. 

I think that's a juvenile robin. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh