Forum home Plants

Horse chestnut seedling

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,077
I don't know how I missed it but there's a little horse chestnut sapling in my garden. It's probably about 2 years old.
How long could you reasonably grow it in a container before it became too big to keep?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,446
    I get them quite often, squirrels bury them. I just weed them up. They grow quite quickly. 
    I would say grow it in the container until you think it looks too big. It may be hard to get out of the container by then! But why do you want to anyway? Or do you want to try and train it to be a bonsai? It won't grow as big in a container as in the ground.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221
    If you cut off its tap root and make it rely on the other fluffy rootlings it should have, pick a nice shallow bowl. It should make 40-50 years as a bonsai. Natural growth in a big pot? We have self seeding hazelnuts, they get pot bound/breaking pots at 8-10 years. Horse chestnuts make bigger trees, so probably not as long as that.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,077
    Such a pretty thing, I didn't want to kill it.  Same as it's easier to set up a charity to save an endangered pretty furry animal with sad eyes than something with multiple eyes and legs or no legs at all.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    I wouldn't keep it. Not really worth it unless you have room to let it get to full size - which is very substantial... 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It's out tomorrow😞
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 626
    My parents have one I grew as a child, must be 15-20 years old in a big (maybe 80cms wide) pot, still happy albeit small, flowers now too!
    Ooh. Maybe I'll give it a go then. If I survive another 20years, I'll be past caring anyway @zugenie
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I would give it a go, just to see what happens.
  • pinutpinut Posts: 88

Definitely give it a go.

I am making a bonsai forrest planting myself after being inspired by Peter Chan.

Thanks @pinut. I'll have a proper look when I find my earphones😊