Forum home Plants

Can you propagate a clematis?

alexemmersonukalexemmersonuk Norwich, Norfolk, UKPosts: 150
This himalayan clematis grows wildly near my home. I love it. I was wondering if anyone knew if I can somehow propagate it? I have taken a cutting but not sure what to do with it - or if anything is even possible? Has anyone done this successfully? 
Thanks, Alex (Norfolk UK)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,998
    Yes - you can do it in the same way as any cutting, but now that you've removed that, it may not be viable. You'd need to keep it in a plastic bag, dampened, after cutting it.  :)

This will probably give you enough info
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-clematis/

You could try sticking the pieces in water though - after cutting below a node, and removing the tip and some foliage. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• alexemmersonukalexemmersonuk Norwich, Norfolk, UKPosts: 150
    It was only removed about 30 mins or so before I posted this... So I might be OK? Will have a look at the link, thank you! x

You might get away with it  :)

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 723
    That species is very easy from cuttings and I have done it dozens of times. The one thing to remember with clematis is they root best between the nodes, so cut above a node or if the internode is long, somewhere between the two nodes.
    I then use a 50-50 mix of compost and vermiculite and pop in a propagator. It can take a few weeks to root during which you need to keep the soil moist.
    Yes - the bottom leaves should sit on the soil surface, with a reasonable amount of stem [an inch or two depending on the length] below the surface  :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    I usually dump some grit on top to hold the node against the mix without making it too wet 
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 674

Good luck!

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• alexemmersonukalexemmersonuk Norwich, Norfolk, UKPosts: 150
    Thank you all!