Forum home Plants

Japanese Maple

Willson.SWillson.S Posts: 21
Hi all,

I recently repotted my Japanese maple and planted it in the ground, it is not looking as happy, the branches are drooping slightly, any recommendations? 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,221
    Looks like a sunny site. The green ones aren't so good with sun. It might just be struggling a bit with that after also being re potted. 
    It should perk up in cooler, cloudier weather, once it's settled in. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,964
    edited April 2022
    Ours are in pots and for the last few weeks we have had to move them into the polytunnel as we have had so many night time frosts and we nearly lost one. They are perking up again but still reluctant to put them back out as last night it was -0.2 degrees. The cold NE winds aren't liked by them either.
    We are in the SW.
  • Willson.SWillson.S Posts: 21
    Thank you for the advice, I have moved them back into the garden and will look to protect them from the frost 😊. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hardy plant that would look nice in place of the maple? 

edited April 2022
    Wind certainly isn't helpful for them, and again - the green and yellowy ones are far more vulnerable. It's why they're best in a more sheltered site. Exposed sites with no protection from other planting is particularly difficult. 
    My dark dissectum variety hasn't been affected by any of the frosts we've had in the last few weeks [down to minus 3 and 4 at times] or the snow/hail,  but it isn't in an exposed site. I keep it tucked in until it's starting into proper growth, which was earlier than usual - about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and then it's moved into a position where it has shelter from frost in the morning. It still gets the wind, which we get a lot of here, but it's well acclimatised now, and the surrounding planting helps.  :)
    The plainer palmatums cope with almost anything.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 7,941
    How big a plant are you thinking of, to replace the maple?  It looks as if you're aiming for something with an informal shape there, to counterbalance the clipped conifers.  If you'd be happy with something which will get larger than your acer, you could consider an Amelanchier.  If it needs to remain small, something like Prunus 'Kojo-no-mai' might fit the bill...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Thank you for those options, both are pretty much what I’d be looking for as long as they’re hardy and enjoy lots of sun
    They are and they do!   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    The ornamental pear is also nice - Pyrus salicifolia pendula.  :)

Good call, @Fairygirl.  That would be an interesting contrast in foliage colour & shape with the conifers.   :)