Forum home Problem solving

Fiesta apple tree

I planted three 2-year old apple trees 6 years ago - Fiesta, Bramley and Kidds Orange Red.  All three have produced an abundance of fruit but this year the Fiesta has very little blossom and I am wondering if maybe the tree is having a rest year like the Victoria plum sometimes does.  The other two apple trees have an abundance of blossom again.  Can anyone throw any light on this please?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,131
    When you first planted them six years ago, were you kind to your baby trees by letting them flower but not produce fruit for the first year?

Did you only allow them to produce a very few fruits the second year?

If not, the Fiesta may be taking a break from child production. Over tired. Having a rest.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I can't remember exactly what I did then but I will give it some thought.  Thank you for your help.  :smile:
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,498
    @brightboys322 Yes many fruit trees take a break especially if they have fruited well in previous years. Our Fiestas are both without flowersthis year having given us a good harvest last year, but our cherries are the best ever. Hopefully we will get some fruit from them before the birds take them all.
  • brightboys322brightboys322 Posts: 39
    That's reassuring, thank you.  Good luck with your cherries.  I have squirrels living in the tree behind the fence at the back of the garden and one year I saw they had been sitting in the Bramley apple tree eating the apples whilst they were still on the tree and leaving them half eaten!  Cheeky.