Forum home Plants

Portuguese laurel

Hi all, quick question.
I purchased this Portuguese Laurel last year in May, planted it in the border in partial shade during the day but it gets lots of sun and once its over the height of the wall it will get full sun on the top.

It did not grow at all last year but this year it has lots of new growth, but I expected it to have the dark red stems as shown in all the pictures I can find online, my receipt just says Portuguese Laurel, if I click to leave a review it says Prunus Lusitanica.

Is this what I have got? It's too late to do anything about it now but was just wondering what type it is, I paid a fair amount of money for a 6ft plant. 
No idea why the images are sideways. 

Not hugely important, I'm not removing it now anyway. 

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 670
    Looks like a Portuguese laurel (Prunus lusitanica) just about to flower to me.

Happy gardening!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    edited April 2022
    Looks fine, perfectly happy!  There are a number of varieties of this plant, some with dark red stems and some where the young stems have a slight red/pinkish colour as they emerge which turn to dark green/brown as they age.  Your plant looks like the latter.  Another forum member may know the names of these varieties.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    It's fine. Planting a specimen of that size means it will always take a while to establish, and that's what it's been doing over the last 6 to 8 months or so.
    It'll grow more now, and you'll no doubt have to prune it regularly to keep it in that space.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for all the answers, I have no problem with it I was just expecting the red stems as shown in alot of the pictures. 

I'm going to let it het a couple of foot taller then start pruning it. I need to trin the Robin next to it so it does not start to cover it, they are growing like crazy at the moment. 
    Keep an eye on watering your Portuguese laurel - it's in a bit of a "rain shadow" in that space.  If they get too dry they can be susceptible to powdery mildew - not fatal but unsightly and can deter vigorous growth. (Mine went into a state of suspended animation for six months last year, just recovering now!)
    edited April 2022
    I think this is the variety you have, now the most commonly sold according to this supplier: Prunus lusitanica 'Myrtifolia' - Architectural Plants

There's some good care advice here too - eg. don't prune in June!

Hope this helps.