Forum home Plants

Escallonia - Is it dead?

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
Last year I hard pruned an old escallonia. I've been away over winter and it now looks very dead with no sign of life:

I can't remember exactly when I hard pruned it, but it was late summer or perhaps in the autumn. It was sprouting from below the cuts but they didn't survive the winter.

I have another escallonia that I planted a year ago, which is probably in the wrong spot. So I'm thinking of replacing this with the new one. Or should I wait a bit just in case it does show signs of life?

Here it is in happier times:

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1049797/shrub-id

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,080
    Looks awful dead to me😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    Defunctus est!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Okay, thanks. I thought as much. 
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,311
    Don't be too hasty to give up on it.  It could still sprout IMO.....give it another month before taking any drastic action.  It looks like one of the 'Apple Blossom' ones. 
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
    Redwing said:
    Don't be too hasty to give up on it.  It could still sprout IMO.....give it another month before taking any drastic action.  It looks like one of the 'Apple Blossom' ones. 
    Okay, I will give it a month. I have plenty of things to be getting on with elsewhere in the garden anyway!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    How can you tell from a bare stump what variety of Escallonia it is?
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,448
    @punkdoc because he posted a link to another thread with a photo of it in bloom.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,448
    @TimmyMagic I was wondering why you cut it down so hard when you were advised to prune it lightly?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    @TimmyMagic I was wondering why you cut it down so hard when you were advised to prune it lightly?
    Yeah, I am wondering why too!  :/

There was a lot of dead wood and I started with a light prune, then got carried away. I think I read elsewhere that it was okay to hard prune. I think I maybe did it a bit too late in the year. 
  • It does look poorly.  However, I’d give it another chance with a good feed and watering.  You never know! Fingers crossed everyone.