Forum home Plants

Liatris Spicata Alba - spacing?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
I have some bulbs of the above but I’m not sure of the correct spacing. The packet says 6cm but that seems very close! Can anyone advise? Thanks.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    I only grow the purple ones, but assume they are the same. I read 12 inches, which I thought was too far, so I used 6 and that seems to have worked fine.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    6” sounds more sensible than 6cm @punkdoc, thanks. I have grown the purple ones in the past too and I’m sure I didn’t space them really close, but can’t remember exactly.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Mine are probably closer than that, because they were in pots for a while, quite happily, before I could plant them out. I grow both colours, and they're all much the same.
    6 inches is probably perfect though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    edited April 2022
    I started them in pots last year, and I'm pretty sure I planted 3-4 per pot, which would mean a lot closer than 6cm! So the clump in the photo below was composed of several corms.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    That's pretty much what mine look like when growing @Loxley :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    It’s probably the case that the more room you give them the bigger they will grow! I’m sure each of my purple ones were pretty vigorous and maybe around 15-20cm wide if memory serves. I guess I’ll see how they look when they’re ready to plant out since I’ve started them off in pots too, one corm per 8cm pot.