Forum home Problem solving

Jasminoides Trachelospermum not looking healthy

Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 55
Hi all, 

I hope everyone is looking forward to the Bank Holiday !

Our Jasminoides Trachelospermum is looking quite ropey.

My question is whether I am over or under watering?

Please see the images attached. I am based in Whitstable Kent, and it has been fairly cold on and off.

There is a photo of the planter they are in (three in total), maybe the planter is not good for them? The planter does not have a bottom, so it wouldn't be drainage issue.

I have given them seaweed, but maybe with the cold weather it is too soon to prompt growth. The soil is manure (well rotted down), and they were planted in October last year, and if anything have shrunk.

Many thanks in advance.

Jack

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,526
    Hi Jack
    I've grown them in a small raised bed and in the open ground with good results.
    They quickly get to be very big plants. A single plant will get to about 40ft high and about 25ft wide in time.
    It maybe that planting them in just rotted manure is way too rich for them which can prevent plants from absorbing water. But if you mixed the manure with some sort of topsoil that shouldn't be the case.
    If it was mushroom compost or poultry manure you used that may be much too alkaline for them.
    It may be a cold wind that has caused the problem too, so maybe the best plan is to wait and see.
    Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,443
    Are they in a sheltered fairly sunny place? They don't like the cold. When cold the leaves can go discoloured and fall off, but when the weather warms up new leaves grow.

Did you plant them in neat manure? Even though rotted, it should have been mixed with soil or a compost like John Innes with loam in it. 

They grow quite big, as @Pete.8 says so 3 is too many there.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,632
    I have to agree, there's just too many plants in that narrow planter. I know it seems odd at this stage to say, but Trachelospermum Jasminoides has the ability to get quite big, so they need root space too. You then train them outwards to cover the space you are trying to achieve. 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,452
    edited 29 April
    As per the above, they need to be in loamy soil, not manure! Is there any special reason they are not planted direct into the ground? Their roots will go down through the planter and into the ground eventually, but until then, you are tied into watering them regularly. And if the soil becomes sodden and claggy, it might be easy to overwater them.

I agree that they're planted too densely, 3 or 4 plants would be plenty more than enough for that length of fence. (In fact just 1 would probably be OK ultimately, but I get that you probably want instant gratification!)

It does look like a suitable location for them. However if they were grown in a polytunnel before you bought them, they might be experiencing a bit of shock at the sudden change in their microclimate just as we were going into winter. (This also causes leaves to discolour and wither).

The good news is that the plants will bounce back readily if they're planted properly, and you can just cut off any unsightly disfigured bits. You can see the new growth emerging. I wouldn't bother with fertiliser, more likely to do harm than good.
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 55
    Thank you all for your time and excellent feedback.

It seems the issue will be the manure. In answer to why I used manure, I (wrongly) thought putting manure in a planter would give my new plants the most nutrients to grow. 

I've learnt a lot from this thread alone, also about too many plants in one space.

It was Blended Manure, by Levington, is blended manure not as bad as normal manure?

Either way, yesterday I dug all the plants out, replaced with top soil and earth from the garden, and only two jasmine went back in. Here's hoping for a change!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,220
    How- or rather where - are you going to train them when there's only that low fence behind them?
    One plant would have been ample.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....