Forum home Problem solving

Hedge dying?

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on my hedge , taught it was due to winter but does not appear to be rejuvenating

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,121
    Probably very, very thirsty.
    It doesn't look as if it has much room there, the grass is very close, and the building behind it will make the site drier too. That whole length looks a bit anaemic. They grow best in wet areas, with reasonably hearty soil.  :)
    Those two sections have probably been struggling for a while. You could cut them back, clear all the debris, and make sure they have regular water, plus a mulch of organic matter after that. They should come away again if they aren't already beyond help. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks 

I was afraid they may be getting too much water
    I have a few bags of mulch there I can use 
  • Looking the soil on the hedge Vs healthy section

Hedge appears to be water logged Vs healthy section, too much water? 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,568
    It certainly could be due to poor drainage. Do you know why it's so bad in those areas ?
    Are those last two photos how it normally looks?
    Is so - then yes, maybe they're getting too much. Is there a broken pipe nearby or something? It would be very odd for just two areas to be like that otherwise.

• The photo of the healthy tree are the trees in the first photo(first post) near the post and rail fence 

Must be the percolation area causing issue , not all trees along there are as saturated , appears to be localised to the section with brown leaves

Branches appear to be healthy , maybe it will dry out and come back on during the summer 

Does anybody know the name of the tree, will have a read up about them
    It's cherry laurel - a common hedging plant. Did you not plant it ?
    If the site wasn't properly prepped, that could be the reason. Could be a solid clay pan underneath the top layer, for example.

• Fairygirl said:
    It's cherry laurel - a common hedging plant. Did you not plant it ?
    If the site wasn't properly prepped, that could be the reason. Could be a solid clay pan underneath the top layer, for example.
    Thanks We are only in the house around a year , but the trees are here for a number of years Only thing that changed was the introduction of a percolation area so the previous owners could sell