Forum home Problem solving

Cupressus Castlewellan Gold Spiral care

Just been to local garden centre and in their rescue area there was two of above, have taken a chance on them, got them for £20 normally would be £160. Have always wanted some but couldn't really justify spending so much, anyway any tips on how to revive them. I have given them a good water and will repot them any other tips. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,141
    Do they have labels saying what variety they are? Most conifers don't regrow from brown wood.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,141
    Oops just saw that it's in the thread title! It's a variety of Leylandii so they won't regrow from brown wood, only from the parts that are still green. Potentially very big https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/223146/-cupressocyparis-leylandii-castlewellan-gold/details so I wouldn't have thought they were a particularly good choice for potted topiary :(.
  • ItaliansunItaliansun Posts: 4
    They are Cupressus Castlewellan Gold Spiral
    Yes I read that they wouldn't regrow from brown wood but was hoping there was enough green to have a chance. I was hoping to plant them in the ground eventually just going to repot them temporarily.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,482
    edited 28 April
    Don't risk holding your breath .... I'm sorry but ... 😢

I hope I'm wrong, for your sake.  At least you've got a couple of pots ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,030
    The tree on the left looks a bit more hopeful than the other one.  It's worth a try.  If you can't put them in the ground at the moment, try a bigger pot with John Innes no 3 compost and keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. 

Before you put them in their new pots, fill a dustbin or large container with water and completely submerge each plant in its existing pot, allowing bubbles to emerge and keep the plant submerged for about 20 minutes. 

After repotting, it's probably a good idea to keep the plants quite sheltered out of the wind and hot sun at the moment while they are rehydrating - poor watering has caused their current condition.  Make sure your pots are elevated to ensure good drainage. 

You may still be left with blackened sections which won't regrow but you can disguise these with other plants when they're in the ground.  Good luck!
    Thank you Plantminded that is very helpful