Forum home Plants

Plants, trees and virus

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
I was just preparing some Moroccan new potatoes for dinner this evening and my thoughts wandered, as they do. I thought about the problem that dilby is having with the pine tree in the garden and Phytophthora crossed my mind. I tried to imagine what our world would be like without some of our beloved trees and the damage to our ecosystem and then fungi came to mind and where would we be without them. 

Some of the virus and bacteria have been around since the world began but where have the newer virus come from? The different types of Phytophthora for example have the ability to cause utter devastation where did that come from?

I then looked at the potato and wondered if we are the cause or rather the spread of these things. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,196
    New bacteria/viruses/fungi come into existence all the time. They reproduce so quickly, that mutations are always occurring.
    This has probably always happened, but it is only recently that we have been able to identify these organisms.
    Undoubtedly humans have had a major impact on the spread of these diseases, eg COVID.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    I agree and have no doubt that scientists in the fields of medicine, bacteriology, virology, horticulture etc are working hard to either eliminate or control the problems caused but as you say punkdoc they mutate so it's an ongoing battle. 

I went on to wonder if there's an easier way to ease the situation for example don't import some of the stuff that we do but where does it start and finish? I know that's too simple an answer and probably wouldn't work anyway.