Forum home Plants

Geum in container

Morning,

Would a Geum totally tangerine be ok in a large half barrel container (65cm wide, 40cm deep)?

Many thanks. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,101
    I think it would be totally happy😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315
    My Mrs Bradshaw from 2018, probably in a smaller planter and it did really well.

• BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 179
    I think so, I grow Geum Scarlet Tempest and Geum Prinses Juliana in containers and both are very happy, covered in buds and with health foliage.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    It will need lots of water and dead heading. You will also need to be aware that when it fills the pot you will need to lift and split. This is easy to do you will have lots of new plants. Not so easy if it is pot bound by August as you will have lots more plants to care for then.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • That’s great, many thanks all. I’ve popped it in the barrel, giving it a good drink so hopefully it’ll settle in nicely. I regularly dead head these plants and the ground it was in is very free draining so they seem quite ‘drought tolerant’ but I’ll certainly keep an eye on the moisture levels until it’s established. I got probably nearly all of the rootball up so fingers crossed it won’t know it’s been moved! 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    The common name for this plant is Water Avens so a retentive soil is best.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • I don’t think this variety is the same as ‘true’ Water Avens? All the websites say well drained soil and all 5 of mine flourish in full sun, in very well drained soil.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    I had Totally Tangerine in a container last year (not quite as big as a half barrel). It needed a lot of water, and would wilt pretty quickly on hot days. I split it and put the pieces in the ground in the autumn.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Water avens, Geum rivale are not the same as the border Geums.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    I think Avens is another name for Geum so hence the confusion. I grow T Tangerine in an improved clay and I expect I might need to water it at some point. I did think that a retentive soil would be best?