Forum home Plants

Other ways to grow Jasmine?

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
Years ago I bought a tiny Jasmine (common white, I think) for a pound thinking that by the time it reached any size I would have acquired a lovely pergola or similar to train it up against. 
Ha ha, optimistic gardening, pergola never materialised. It's now in a really big pot but has never grown well.Have no soil around the house so can't be trained against the walls either. 
Has anyone grown a Jasmine successfully in any other way? Through hedge,  freestanding structure etc?
Thanks. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    I grow one in a very large container but the best one grows out of the slabs in the patio😊
    There must be a bit of soil under the slabs. I've never looked. It gets watered by the run off from the containers I suppose.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
    @B3 Mine seems to have gone more round and round in the pot rather than up.
    There are some woody bits along side fresh growth. Do you cut those back on yours? 
    I prune it back to sticks in the autumn. The rest of the year, I snip off anything that gets in the way unless it has flower buds. Then I wait till they're finished.
    I'm sure there are better methods but I don't want it to be too happy😉
    Can you encourage the stems to grow out of the pot by untangling or teasing out the stems and letting them hang over the side.
    Could you post a photo?
    @B3. I have just gone out to look at it and I think a top up of compost might help cover the woody bottom.
    Will post a photo when I get out again. 
    Thanks for the reply. 
    It will have woody branches too. The green stems will sprout out of them in mid/ late spring.
    Thanks @B3
    I will see if I can tease the new growth out a bit.