Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

peteSpeteS Posts: 870
Noticed this plant as I was walking past a communal planting area. At first glance I thought it was perhaps a form of golden privet, but now I'm not too sure. This particular one was about 2-3 ft high, but there were taller plants in the same area. It looked very impressive in the evening light.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,293
    Euonymus fortunei
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    The variety could be ‘Emerald n Gold’
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    I'd agree, and E. Emerald and Gold is readily available if you wanted to buy it. Very useful for awkward sites, and in shadier spots, and can be trimmed at any time if it gets too big. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    @Perki @Athelas @Fairygirl
    Thanks for that. Does it retain it's colouration in shade and will it take readily to growing in a pot.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    Very easy to propagate. Not that I'm suggesting anything😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    Oh, now I know that @B3 I'll just go and....
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
     The colour is not so vibrant and it grows more slowly in dry shade.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    I guess you could grow it in a pot but utimately it will really need to go in the garden.
    The plain green upright E Green Pillar would be a good choice for a pot. There is a new form in all the GC's plain green with cream coloured new growth called E Paloma Blanc.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    Emerald 'n' gold sometimes has a tendency to revert (I don't know whether it's to do with mine being in dry shade or not). Watch out for any all-green shoots appearing and prune them right out down to where the all-green starts.