Forum home Problem solving

Strawberries, netting and pollination

To save space I have just planted calabrese seedlings between my strawberries. I figured that the strawberries will be finished before the calabrese get very big. Also it meant that I could next the whole area for both Calabrese and strawberries in one go.
However, I use fine mesh to keep butterflies away from the Calabrese and now I am worried about whether the strawberries will be prevented from getting pollinated. 
I hear that they are mostly self fertile and are pollinated by wind too. Is this right? Also are they likely to be pollinated by ground insects too? If so I reckon they will get the job done but if it's flying insects required then I reckon I have just prevented that from happening.

Any advice?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    I use butterfly netting for my strawbs.
    It keeps the birds out but lets the bees in.

When I first planted them, like you I used a fine mesh netting and noticed no berries were forming.
    When I swapped it for the butterfly netting berries started to form.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Paul CharnockPaul Charnock Posts: 123
    Thanks a lot Pete.
    I think it is take 2 on the netting then. I'll raid the shed to see if I have something a little less fine.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,490
    Of course they don't need netting at all until the strawberries begin to ripen, so you've got quite a while.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Paul CharnockPaul Charnock Posts: 123
    Yeah true but as  I say, i've mixed them with Broccoli and pidgeons would make short work of them. I think I'll risk the butterflies and use a wider mesh so that insects can get into the area.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,438
    edited 27 April
    A butterfly net with about 8mm holes would let most bees and other small insects through. It will unfortunately also let diamond back moths through if those are a problem where you are.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,618
    We find that Squirrels eat holes in our Butterfly netting, so have resorted to using Chicken wire. Might not be a problem where you are.